Monday, November 30, 2015

A Coast Guard Boat Returning to Grand Haven

After I realized that I missed the Sykes leaving, I headed over to the park to catch some pictures of the lighthouse.  As I was parking, I saw this guy coming in.
 Turns out that this is a 47 foot Motor Lifeboat.  It was designed to replace the 1963 to 1972 era 44 Motor Life Boat. 
 It is designed as a fast response rescue craft that can operate in 30 foot seas.    It is powered by two 435 hp Detroit Diesel Engines which gives it a top speed of 25 knots.  It is also a self righting craft, which means that if it tips over, it will come back right side up.
 The first craft was delivered in 1997 and there are 227 planned.
And one more shot.

Anyone who follows this blog knows that I have a great admiration for the men and women of our Coast Guard.

No comments: