Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Massive James R. Barker

So I decided to head up to the Port Huron area in order to do some boatwatching.  I was about to give up due to the crappiness of the roads around here but I soldiered on and decided to head over.  I'm glad that I did.  I really haven't felt motivated to do much photography lately but I have to get out of that funk at some point.
 The first ship I wanted to catch was the James R. Barker.  She is one of thirteen thousand footers that ply the Great Lakes.
 She was heading to the St. Clair Power Plant to deliver a load of coal.  I think there have been quite a few ships visiting there lately.
 One of these days, I would like to catch a ship as she is making a turn into the power station but I had other ships to catch.
 Anyway, despite the number of times I've seen these, they are still pretty impressive.
 The light wasn't bad for me either.

 A shot of her bow.
 An almost beam shot.
 A puff of smoke as she tries to move faster.
And she continues down the river.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be doing that much boatwatching this winter.  There are already at least five ships that have gone into early layup.  However, it seems like there are still quite a few out there.  I hope that I get some icebreaking shots this year again but not that much.

No comments: