Monday, January 11, 2016

The Passing of an Icon

I don't really get upset when I either read or hear about the passing of someone famous, however this one kind of touched me.  As I turned on the radio this morning, Classic Vinyl on Sirius was doing a tribute to David Bowie.  They played some of his songs and they had listeners call in with their thoughts of David Bowie.  And then I learned that he passed away on Sunday.  I thought that was kind of odd because I just read that he released a new album.  Then I learned that he was battling cancer for the last 18 months.  I can't imagine working on a album, let along working on one while you are dying.
My first experience of David Bowie was catching him play "Space Oddity" on Saturday Night Live.  I thought it was a pretty cool song because it was about an astronaut but at the time I didn't realize that it was about an astronaut lost in space.  It was a pretty cool song.  My next exposure to him was with the "Let's Dance" and the videos on MTV.  In fact, that was one of my first cassettes.
As I got older, I discovered his other albums and I've pretty much enjoyed all of them.  There is just something about his music that touches me.  I also like the way that he managed to stay relevant throughout the years.  His music managed to adapt to the changes around him.
So the picture represent my favorite albums of his.  He will be missed.

1 comment:

cmadler said...

If you haven't heard it yet, his new album, Blackstar is pretty damn awesome.