Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Alpena on the Maumee River

I kind of like Toledo as a spot for shipwatching.  Although there is a caveat on that.   If they are going past the bridges, there are good spots for viewing them.  If the ships are not, there are spots but they aren't so good.
Like I said in the last post, I wasn't sure which cement dock the Alpena would be using.  If she was using the one further up the river, I would not have been able to catch her.  If she was using the LaFarge Terminal, I could.
 When I got to the museum, I decided to look her up on AIS and I saw that she was turning around.  I thought that meant that she was going to stay on the other side of the bridge.  It turns out that she was turning around because she had to back down the river.  Something tells me that she can't turn around near the cement dock.
 I found a good spot to get good shots of her as she headed down the river.  I'm just glad that it was cloudy because otherwise I would have been shooting into the sun.
 And that would have been a shame because she's such a beautiful ship.
 And I'm always happy when I can catch her at different spots.
 It seems like her owners keep pretty good care of her too.
 And I think that Toledo makes a pretty good backdrop for a ship.  If you look in the background, you can see one of the leaves of the Martin Luther King Bridge raised.  That was for the next ship.
 She eases into her spot.
 Another kind of overall shot of the skyline.
 The tug kind of waited around while the other ship passed.
One more shot of her.

No comments: