Thursday, June 2, 2011

Between Ann Arbor and Chicago

Normally it takes about 4 hours to get from Ann Arbor to Chicago. It's not through the best looking country but it's not too bad. At least there are some hills and other forms of scenery along the way.
The train station in Jackson. They still use the old train station. One of these days, I would like to see what it looks like on the inside.
This is a shot of the Jackson Airport and the gate guardian they have out in front. I have flown out of this airport a few times in one of my previous jobs.
One of the things I like about taking the train is that I get to pass trains that are waiting along the sidetracks. This happens to be a Union Pacific symbol on the side of a car that is used to transport automobiles.
The Kalamazoo Train Station. This is another one of the old train stations. There is a nice look about these stations. As you can see, the train was pretty busy on this day.
Until I took my trip to this lighthouse last year, I didn't realize that it was right on the rail line. I'm kind of glad that I saw it because now when I take the train I can look out for it. This is the Old Michigan City Lighthouse which was built in the 1800's.
This is the new Michigan City Lighthouse. It sort of reminds me of the St. Joseph light.
A group of Norfolk-Southern engines waiting in the sidetracks.
The Norfolk-Southern was created in 1982 with the merger of the Norfolk and Western and the Southern Railroads. The Southern Railroad has its roots in the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road which was formed in 1827 and ran the first regular passenger service in the United States in 1830. The Southern also has roots in the Richmond and Danville Railroad which was formed in 1847. It became the Southern in 1894 when the two railroads merged.
The Norfolk and Western has its roots in the City Point Railroad which was formed in 1838. This in turn was acquired by the South Side Railroad in 1854. After the Civil War, it became part of the Atlantic, Missippi and Ohio Railroad until that became the Norfolk and Western in 1881. Later the Norfolk and Western would acquire the Wabash, Virginian and Nickel Plate Railroads.
Eventually, the Norfolk-Southern would acquire a good chunk of the Conrail System.
A shot of Chicago as I approach Union Station. I don't know why but I associate Chicago with rails.

No comments: