Thursday, June 30, 2011

The James Scott Fountain Revisited

There are some things that I will photograph over and over because I like the subject. The Mackinac Bridge comes to mind in that regard. There are some things I will photograph again because I didn't like the way the pictures turned out the first time. Then there are those rare instances where someone has done some work on something I've photographed before.

Frequent visitors to this blog know that I like to visit Belle Isle because it is a perfect spot for shipwatching. They also know that I like it because there are many photogenic things on it. I've done a couple trips where I've just photographed the various sculptures and buildings on the island but I have only scratched the surface. Sadly, there are quite a few of these sculptures that are in a sad state of disrepair.

Last time I visited this fountain was in March. The water wasn't running and there were traces of rust where the water would normally be running. Many places didn't look as immaculate as white marble can look. So I was glad when I stopped by Belle Isle tonight to see that the water was running and they had cleaned the fountain.

As a refresher the James Scott Fountain was built in 1925 and it as named after a real estate tycoon. After his death, he left a nice sum of money to have this fountain named after him but there were many people who did not like him. Eventaully, he won out and here is the fountain.
As you can see, considerable work has been done on the fountain and the white marble stands out nicely against the blue sky of summer. Many of the traces of rust are gone.It is nice to know that some of the details are little fountains in their own right. The water itself seems to match the color of the Detroit River.
I really love some of the details on this fountain though. The sculptures are very interesting.
This is a statue of the person the fountain is named after.
One of four lion sculptures.
The stem of the fountain. I like the parts that look like Greek actors.
An overall shot of the fountain. This may end up becoming something I will photograph more because I do like the looks of it.

No comments: