Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Yankee Lady at Owosso Community Airport

A couple days ago, my dad posted a link to a video of the Yankee Lady landing at the Owosso Community Airport. Yesterday, I was heading up to my mom's and Owosso is sort of on the way, so I decided that I would stop there to get some pictures of the Yankee Lady. Little did I realize there were a couple other planes there.

The Owosso Community Airport was first mentioned in the records in 1924 and it was on land donated by Robert Wilcox and Charles Wilson. In the early 40's, it was transferred to Shiawassee County and then later to the city of Owosso. It was officially named the Owosso City Airport in 1949. In 2005, the main runway was lengthened to 4,300 feet. It is mostly used for general aviation.
The first plane I ran across was a DeHavilland Tiger Moth. It was designed in the 1930's and used by the Royal Air Force as a trainer. It was used by many other militaries for other things. It was officially retired in 1959 but it is still used for recreation uses.Another view of the Tiger Moth. I think I like the Kaydet better.
A look at the Tiger Moth's cockpit.
The plane I came to see was the Yankee Lady which is owned and operated by the Yankee Air Force out of Ypsilanti. Normally it flies out of Willow Run but I guess they are having problems finding hangar space, so they have been using it out of Grosse Point.
A shot of the front of the Yankee Lady.
A shot from the side. B-17's are kind of neat looking aircraft.
A kind of shot looking forward.
I think this is an AT-6 Texan.
A shot of the Yankee Lady from behind.
A shot from the front of the other side. This are some of the unit patches.
A shot of the front.
A shot of her tail. The number is the serial number of the aircraft.
Her insignia.
Another shot from behind.
This is where the bombardier would sit. The chin gun indicates that this is a B-17G. The chin gun was added because the armament was pretty weak to the front.
I'm not sure what kind of plane this is, but I think it is a Burt Rutan Homebuilt design.

No comments: