Monday, June 13, 2011

The Mackinac Bridge at Night

All four of these pictures are from roughly the same spot, but they all have different exposure settings. One of the things I like about my SLR is that I can set it manually if I have to. The auto exposure settings are nice but sometimes they try to make the picture too bright for what I am looking for. This is often tricky at twilight when I am looking for a slightly darker picture.
This picture was using about 1 step darker than the camera recommended. I kind of like it because the bridge stands out pretty well against the night sky.
This one is the same settings but I wanted to take another picture just in case.
This one is about 2 stops darker than the recommended settings. It almost looks like a complete night shot.
And this one is a step or two brighter than the recommended settings. I think I like it the best of the three because the bridge stands out really nice. I just wish the lake was a little calmer so that I could have gotten the lights reflected against it. Oh well.
Which picture do you guys like? Please post in the comments section.
Also, if you are trying to take a picture of the bridge at night...don't use your flash.

No comments: