The Stewart J. Cort was built in Pascagoula, Mississippi in 1970 and was transported to the Great Lakes in two pieces in order to get through the Welland Canal. The pieces were reunited at Erie Marine in Erie, PA.
She was one of the first 1000 footers and was named after the Vice President of Bethlehem Steel at the time.
She is powered by four General Motors diesel engines for a total horspower of 14,000. She can carry 58,000 tons of cargo and is the only 1000 footer to have a pilot house in the front.
She does not have the traditional self unloading boom but uses a shuttle boom.