Sunday, April 1, 2018

Catching Up to the Pierre Radisson

This is the ship that got me motivated to go out boatwatching.
 I heard that the Pierre Radisson would be heading up north to help out with ice breaking up there.
 The Pierre Radisson is the lead ship of her class and is based in Quebec City.  She is 322 feet long and has 64 foot beam. 
 She is an Arctic class 3 icebreaker.  During the summer months, she can be found up in the Arctic and in the winter, she can be found helping out on the Great Lakes.  Here she is passing one of our Coast Guard boats.
 She was built in Vancouver in 1977.  She is roughly the size of the old Mackinaw.
 She's passing the Detroit Police Boat.
 And she continues on her way up.
 She was the reason I decided to head up to Marine City.  I figured that I don't get many opportunities to catch her, so I might as well make the most of it.
 Sadly the weather was getting rougher.
 A shot of her profile.
 Another shot.  Sadly, it was raining and giving me trouble with my lens.
And she continues on her way to the northern part of the Lakes.

No comments: