Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Anticipation

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past month or so, you probably know that there is a new Star Wars movie opening up on Thursday.  It is the first installment of the post-Lucas owned Star Wars universe.

The new movie is called "Star Wars:  The Force Awakens" and is set roughly 30 years after the destruction of the second Death Star.  The idea of this movie has been around for a while because Lucas had intended to do a trilogy that was set after the original trilogy.  It was also rumored at one time that he wanted to wait long enough so that he could use the original actors at some point. 

This trilogy never materialized from him and I'm kind of glad about that.   While I like the prequels well enough, I really think that he should have stepped back and let other people develop them.  There were many elements in them where he needed someone to say, "No".

When I heard that Disney bought the franchise from him, I was actually excited for the reasons above.   I thought that would give someone other than Lucas to carry on the story.  Based on the novels and comic books that have been written over the years, there is plenty to expand upon.  I was excited but not terribly excited when they announced this movie but the more I hear about it, the more excited I am.  Especially when I heard that the guy who wrote Empire and Jedi was doing to the scripts for this one.  Those two were by far my favorites of the series.
The above picture is from a higher end group of action figures made by Hasbro.  I was trying to replicate a rather famous still shot of Han Solo and his wookie companion Chewbacca.  I kind of like it.

Anyway, I can't wait until Thursday night.

No comments: