Thursday, August 31, 2017

An Old Friend

With the Algorail in layup and likely to be scrapped at the end of the season, the Algoway making runs and probably destined for the scrap heap, the Algosteel making runs and probably destined for the scrap heap, and the CSL Tadoussac in layup.  There is likely only going to be two classic Canadian Lakers left.  There is the John Leitch and I'm pretty positive she has a couple years left anyway.  While she is not a classic laker, she is configured like one.
 The Frontenac is the other ship which dragged me out to go boatwatching.  I was hoping to catch her further up the St. Clair River but I barely caught her as she made her way down past Algonac.  That was the same situation with the Algoma Strongfield.
 After catching both ships at Algonac, I decided that I wanted better pictures and Belle Isle provides that opportunity.
 Although with the lake levels where they are, there aren't too many places on what used to be the Rocky Beach where I have good vantage points.  But I did manage to find one.  The island was a little busier than normal as the boat races were going on.  One of these years, I'll have to wander over there to catch them.
 Anyway, I was out seeking the Frontenac.  I think she was also headed to Quebec City but again I'm not sure what she was carrying.
 At any rate, it was nice to catch her.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 A shot of the Canadian flag flapping proudly in the breeze.
The top flag is the house flag for Canada Steamship Lines.  Below that is a flag of the 150th Anniversary of the founding of Canada.  The next flag over is the Stars and Stripes and I'm not sure what's below that.

1 comment:

Johnny Action Space Punk said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing these! Love Great Lakes ships.