Friday, January 21, 2011

Ebony and Ivory

Today's Assignment was to take color out of the equation and make a monochromatic photograph today. It's funny because I shot a couple black and white pictures the other day. It's even funnier because when I really cut my teeth on photography, I learned through black and white. Sometimes I like black and white, although I don't use it often enough.

Anyways, today's shot is of some of the plant life outside of where I work.

We have these pretty cool birch trees outside our building. I like the way they are peeling.

My blog is called Michigan Exposures which means that I have a pretty decent focus on Michigan. This is our state flag. The banner at the bottom says, "Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice" which is Latin for "If you seek a beautiful peninsula, look around you" which is our state motto. Tuebor means "I will defend" and at the top is the United States motto. The two animals on the side are an elk and moose and this is taken from the coat of arms of the Hudson Bay Company which ran Michigan before it became part of the United States.

I may be biased, but I think we have one of the cooler flags in the country.

I'm not sure what kind of plants these are.

This shot kind of reminds me of a more famous Ansel Adams shot.

I'm not sure what kind of plants these are.

No comments: