Thursday, January 13, 2011

Playing With Water

Inspiration can come from many different places. This particular inspiration came from another blog. In that particular blog, the person is doing a different photograph a day. On this particular day, she was shooting something liquid. I liked how the picture turned out but I wanted to play with different effects as a demonstration.

This was shot using the flash. One of the nice things about a flash is that you don't necessarily need a tripod because the light has the effect of freezing the motion. Basically it is the equivalent of setting your shutter speed to 1/60 of a second. Anyways, I kind of liked how this shot turned out.

This shot was pretty much the same as above but using a slower shutter speed. In this case it was 1/6 of a second. See the difference in the two shots (besides the lighting). The first shot freezes the droplets in mid air, this one gives more of a motion effect.

I wanted to demonstrate a little better, so I changed my set up a little bit. This one again is using the flash. I like how the water looks like it is bubbling up.

This one was using a slower shutter speed but trying to get the same angle (roughly). Again, the slow shutter speed gives the illusion of motion. When you see waterfalls with the milk trails, it's the same thing, although in many cases they use an even slower shutter speed (and a tripod...I didn't feel like yanking the tripod out).

This is the same shot as above, but using a faster shutter speed (but no flash). You can kind of see the freezing of the water effect.

Again, another slow shutter speed shot.

This one is shot with a higher shutter speed. Again, the water looks like it is bubbling up.

Slow shutter speed.



High shutter speed again.

I tried a slightly different angle and the flash.

High shutter speed.

Low shutter speed.

One of the things I like about my SLR camera is the fact that I can adjust the settings. It gives me a little more creative control over my shots. If I want, I can go into full manual mode where I set both the aperature and shutter speed settings or I can set it so that I prioritize either (depending on the effects I want).

Anyways, this was just kind of messing around...but I kind of like how the pictures turned out.

2 comments:

Hearing Aids said...

I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I’ll love to read your next post too

Alicia Kieft said...

Very cool. Now I wish I had something better than a simple point and shoot.