Saturday, January 8, 2011

More Pictures of the Eagles....

So I went up to my mom's today, which meant a stop by the eagles and they were out in force today. I'm not sure how many I saw as they were scattered throughout the trees but I'm pretty sure there were at least 10 of them if not more. Since it was a sunny day, I stood a pretty good chance of getting a decent picture of one.

This one was just just sitting in the tree. I like the fact that the sun was hitting his head.

This one was a little closer to the road, therefore I could get closer to this one.

This one was barely cropped.

This is an immature eagle.

This is an immature eagle in the sky.

Unfortunately the branches got in the way of this shot.

Another shot of an immature eagle.

I think I said it before but it bears repeating. When I was growing up, I liked eagles but they were on the endangered list. At one point it seemed like the only way I would see an eagle was a stuffed one in a museum somewhere. Then someone decided that it would be a shame if that was the only way we could see our national bird. Through lots of work and some re-populating of the species, they are making a comeback.

There are other species that need our help. One of them is the wolverine. For some reason, the Federal Government doesn't want to put it on the endangered list even though there are only 400~500 of them in the country. This animal should be on the endangered list. Its a shame that the only wolverines in the Wolverine State are in the zoo or on the football field (hehe). I'm not sure what to do though.

4 comments:

Clarice Starling said...

Fantastic! It's been many years since I've seen an eagle in the wild. It must have been when I was in Portland Oregon back in the '80's. We have lots of hawks here and owls but alas, the eagle is a bird who prefers the north. I worked with birds of prey when I was doing my research work in college... (long, long ago.)
Congratulations on some terrific photos.

Bigasshammm said...

That's awesome. These are wild birds? Where at?

Mikoyan said...

I meant to respond earlier...

Anyways, yes these are wild birds. The are near Bay City, Michigan. I'm not sure if they came there on their own or were part of a restocking effort. I've probably known about them for a year but there are way more now than there was when I first saw the single eagle. There is also an Eagle's nest near Detroit Metro and I think there is some near Toledo in the Wildlife Reserve there. I also saw a few when I took the train out west.

keratina said...

Thanks for the informative. Fantastic blog. Congratulations!!!