Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Railway Bridge

I've been meaning to take a picture of this railroad bridge for a while now. Sometimes when I go up to my mom's, I take River Road from roughly the Zilwaukee Bridge to the South End of Bay City. Anyways, the reason that I wanted to take a picture of this bridge because it has Pere Marquette on the side.

The Pere Marquette Railroad was founded in 1899 after the merger of the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad, the Detroit, Grand Rapids and Western Railroad and the Chicago and West Michigan Railway. It is named after the Jesuit Missionary who explored much of Michigan and founded Sault Ste. Marie.


In 1917, it was later reincorporated as the Pere Marquette Railway and covered a good chunk of Michigan. In 1947, it was absorbed by the C&O.

No comments: