Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Sam Laud Again...

So I was waffling about whether I wanted to go to Detroit tonight for boatwatching or not. There were a couple of things I needed to do before I went on my trip on Saturday. I was still waffling as I was leaving work, until I looked up at the sky and the grays of the sky convinced me that I could do my laundry after and get my haircut tomorrow. Plus the fact that I would be seeing two ships that I haven't seen before tilted the scales.
The first ship of the evening was the Sam Laud. I didn't think I would get to Belle Isle in time to catch it but I did manage to catch her as her was slipping by. She's not a bad looking ship, but she doesn't quite have the classic lake freighter lines.She was constructed in 1974 by the Bay Shipbuilding Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. She was built as a self-unloading bulk carrier. She was christened the Sam Laud by Mrs. Edna Laud. Sam was the the former President and Chairman of the Board of GATX Corp which owned the company that ran the ship.

She has had several groundings in her career. She's also had a fire.

The shot of the ship compared to the Detroit Skyline.


The ship as she is about to slip out of view.

No comments: