Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Ypsi-Arbor Bowl

I kind of wish I would have known these guys were going out of business sooner because I would have tried to get a shot of this sign lit up. But alas, I didn't so here goes. One of my friends posted on Facebook that someone was looking to buy this sign, so I figured I should get a picture of it since it is kind of an icon on Washtenaw (but not *THE* icon on Washtenaw). I seem to remember seeing this when I first moved down here but I never bowled there.
The business started in 1971, they went out of business at the end of April. They were the only bowling lane in Ypsilanti.

I kind of like the colors on this sign, although as I said, it would have been neater lit up.

One of my favorite angles for signs like this.

Definately my favorite angle for a sign like this because it takes on an almost abstract quality.I took a picture of these two letters because it always seemed like either the b or l were always out. A few times both of them were out, so it was the "ow".



Just a straight on shot of the sign.

The sign from an oblique angle.

Sadly, many communities consider signs like this an eyesore so have passed ordinances against signs. There are a few communities that have gone so far as to ban neon signs altogether. This is kind of a shame as while they may be tacky, in many ways they are art. Oh well, that's progress, right?

1 comment:

winterh said...

Was great back in the day when the B and L didn't light up, giving you the YPSI-ARBOR OW at night.