Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Wolverine on a Cold Day

As I woke up this morning, I saw a group of four ships gathered near Algonac.  They were all stopped and then I saw the Canadian ice breaker Griffon heading up there.  I thought that she was going up there to free them.  Well, it turns out that she was running into issues as well.  As I am typing this post, I see that the US Coast Guard Cutter Bristol Bay is heading up there.  I assume she is going to help with the ice breaking.

I guess it is amazing how quickly ice will start to accumulate after a few days of freezing weather.  It's even more amazing how that ice hampers ship operations on the Lakes.  At any rate, that meant that I wasn't going to be catching any ships today and if I remember correctly from last year, they wont break ice at night which means I have a chance to see them tomorrow.

Well I didn't want to pass on an opportunity to take pictures, so I decided to wander over to Depot Town to catch the Wolverine.
I dallied a little too long, so I barely caught the west bound train as it passed.
 But I did manage to catch the larger version of the Amtrak engine I have on my train layout.  I think it's pretty cool when I catch this one.
 And just as quickly, the train passes.
 The train that normally passes around 1:00 heading east ended up being an hour late, so I had a chance to catch that one as well.  I kind of wish I would have caught the Wolverine yesterday because it looked like it was kicking up more snow. 
 But it was still kicking up enough snow to make a pretty nice picture.
 And I was able to get more of the depot as it passed.
 And it started to rush past me.
As I was catching shots of the now passed train, I noticed a couple of railfans taking its picture as well.

Hopefully, I will be able to catch some ships tomorrow because I think those will be the last until late March or early April.

No comments: