Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Comparison

After reading a post on another blog this morning and then looking through the comments, it made me think of this picture. 
This is another picture that I took with my Kodak DC-240 but it is relevant to the post this morning.  One of the people mentioned the USS Holland which is the first relatively modern US Submarine.  And I remembered that the US Submarine Museum in Groton, CT has a pair of rings comparing the relative sizes of that submarine to the USS Ohio (or Michigan if you prefer since they are the same class).  What I didn't remember was if I had a picture of that.  And it turns out that I do.

So without further ado, here is the comparison of the two submarines.  Almost like pitting a Yugo against a Semi.  I guess what is more amazing is that it represents a time span of about 80 years.  An even less fair comparison would be their relative destructive powers because that would be like pitting an amoeba against a lion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well shiver me timbers matey, arrrrr! I remember when they put that up.