Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Mississagi from Cass Avenue

So the moment I was waiting for came upon me. I saw the Mississagi rounding the bend.  She was moving fairly slow compared to what I am used to seeing ships move.  But I guess that is a function of the Saginaw River being windier and narrower than the Detroit River.
The Saginaw River makes it a little easier for huge ships to get their meal.  They don't have to worry if people have read that book because the River is a little windier and gives more places for them to hide.
Since the Mississagi has appeared on this blog before, I'm not going to go into her history.  I will have to say that she is a pretty nice looking ship.  I'm glad that Lower Lakes tries to maintain many of these ships.
Another view as she gets closer.
I did not realize just how narrow the Saginaw River was, so I did not realize that I would be able to get good closeup shots.
I wish the river were calmer today.  I would have had an almost perfect reflection in there.
Unfortunately the river was too narrow for me to get my favorite shot.  But I don't mind these because they almost remind me of one I could get from a boat.
A shot of her pilothouse.
I'd say this is one more shot as she passes by but it is just the end of this set.

A huge thank you goes out to the author of Saginaw River Images.  It was because of his blog that I found out about this spot.  Check out that blog because he takes some really cool pictures.

No comments: