Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The MiG-17 Fresco

As you may have noticed, the name I use to post on here is Mikoyan. No, I'm not Russian nor am I particularly a fan of Russian aircraft although they have made some cool designs over the years. I started using the name Mikoyan in the early days of the Internet because some of the more obvious aviation related names were taken, so I went for obscure.

Anyways, it was nice to see a MiG in the air. They were using it for an air to air demonstration against the Skyhawk.
The MiG-17 was a further development of the MiG-15 which was made famous by the Korean War. This particular aircraft was designed to go after American bombers but in the hands of a capable pilot could be formidable against American fighters. It was the first Soviet aircraft equipped with afterburners.
Here is the MiG passing by in full afterburners.

No comments: