Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Tregurtha of a Different Sort

So I decided to go boatwatching again on Sunday.  There were two ships that drew me out but one of them drew me up to the St. Clair River instead of just sticking around Detroit.
 The first ship was the grizzled war veteran, the Lee A. Tregurtha.  I will have to say that she is one of the neater looking ships on the Lakes.
 I had one more motive though.  On one of the facebook groups I visit, it was proposed that different people get pictures of the ship at different points along it's journey.  So I was going to try to catch her at different points along the St. Clair River.
 The first stop was Algonac State Park.  Actually, I like the view from Algonac and I might even try to stay at the campground one of these times.
 A shot of her pilothouse as she moves on.
 A relatively clean shot of her as she works her way up the St. Clair River.
 My next stop was Marine City.  There is a nice little park there where you can almost get a headshot.
 But I got a nice shot of her pilothouse and bow.
 A closer shot of her pilothouse.
 Since the Tregurtha was converted from an ocean going tanker right after World War II, she has a fairly unique bow.  She's a had a pretty colorful career since then.
 Another shot of her pilothouse, as you can see, she still sports her campaign ribbons from the War.
 Her flag was flying in the breeze fairly proudly.
 I kind of like it against this backdrop.
 A shot of her stack.
 I moved a little further up in Marine City.  This gave me a chance to get some straight out shots.
 And she moves on.  I didn't stop in St. Clair because they had my favorite park blocked off for some festival.  I also didn't stop in Marysville because I was getting hungry, so I grabbed lunch at the Marine Center. 
 So my next stop was on the other side of the Blue Water Bridge.  I'm really liking shooting in Port Huron.  There are enough bends in the river that I get shots like this.
 And shots like this.
 Just a standard shot of her pilothouse.
 But my favorite thing is getting a shot against the Blue Water Bridge.
 Another shot of her front.
And one more shot as she heads into Lake Huron.

No comments: