Friday, August 26, 2016

Catching Up With the Blough

As I was about ready to leave work, I saw that someone had some pictures of the Blough on Facebook.  I decided to check AIS and saw that she would be passing the Ambassador Bridge at about the time I could get there.  So headed down to Detroit in an effort to catch her.
 My timing was just about right because as I parked the car, I saw that she was just past Belle Isle.  That meant that she would be passing the park in about a half hour.  While I was there, I also discovered that the parking lot at Riverside Park was open again.  Sadly, they haven't worked on the park in a while so it still looked like crap.  I hear that they will be doing some work on it in the near future.  I can't wait.
 It has been a while since I've shot from Riverside Park, so I didn't remember that there is an opportunity for a frontal shot.  The opportunity doesn't last too long.
 At 858 feet, if you stood the Blough on her stern, she would be taller than the 750 feet of the Renaissance Center.  And that's after adding the length of the antenna spire.  Sometimes it helps to put the size of ships in perspective to get an idea of just how big they are.
 The get an idea of the size of the Great Lakes, imagine that two days prior to this picture, the Blough was loading her cargo of taconite in Duluth.
 Roughly 12 hours after taking this picture, the Blough will be in her destination of Conneaut, Ohio.  There she will unload and head back up to either Duluth or Two Harbors.  She likely will be going to Two Harbors though.
 She meets the subject of the next post.
 And she passes by the Ambassador Bridge.
She continues on her way.  Hopefully  I will be able to catch her on the flip side.

No comments: