Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Planes of Fame Museum - Chino, CA

I decided to go the Planes of Fame Museum. I'd been there a couple of years ago and it was an enjoyable experience. Plus the fact that it wasn't too far from the hotel helped as the day of flying caught up to me a bit. Although what didn't help was that it was pretty hot.

This is a Peashooter.

I think this is a Buffalo but I don't remember.

This is the engine of a B-17 they are in the process of restoring.

This is a P-51 Mustang.

This is a Grumman Duck. I remember seeing this plane every so often on Baa Baa Black Sheep.

This is a Kaydet.

This is An-2.

This is a B-25 Mitchell Bomber.

The P-59 Airacomet. This was America's first jet although the engine was based on a British design. Much of the work on this led to the P-80 Shooting Star.

This plane is pretty neat. It is a flying wing. I remember watching the Rose Bowl a few years ago and they had this plane doing the flyover. This design and the design of the bomber from this timeframe would lead ot the B-2 Stealth Bomber.

Looking over the wing.

This is a Tigercat. It was too late to enter World War II and too much of a propellor plane for Korea (although it saw some action). It is a pretty cool plane. I hope they get to restore this plane some day.

This is an early version of a Sherman Tank.

This is a Mitsubishi Zero. This is probably the only one restored to original condition.

This is a Yak-3 Soviet Fighter.

This is an F-86 Sabre which was used in the Korean War.

I kind of liked this shot of the various tails of the aircraft.

This is another shot I liked. The plane in the back is a F-100 Super Sabre. The next plane is a F-86 Sabre and the plane in front is a MiG-15.

A P-40 Warhawk with the cowling opened up.

An Ohka Kamikaze Plane. They called it a guided bomb but I'm not sure it fits that category...although its guided I supposed.

I'm not sure what plane this is.

2 comments:

Bigasshammm said...

Love air museums.
Could spend all day there easily. It's been far too long since I've been to the AF museum and need to make a trek down there.

If you ever get the opportunity to take a ride in a Stearman do it. I've flown in several planes and the Stearman was one of the funnest do to the open cockpit and also the guy played around a bit and did some soft maneuvers.

Mikoyan said...

The Air Force Museum is way way way way cooler than this place. This is place is kind of cool though because many of the planes are flyable.