Saturday, September 18, 2010

Quirky Little Traditions...

Well, it was a tradition for a while in the 1970's that started by someone as a joke.

When I was at the UConn game, they announced the Slippery Rock score and I was curious why. When I looked at the program, I found out. Apparently sometime in the 1970's, there was a person in the public relations office of Slippery Rock and he called the announcer at Michigan stadium and told him the score. It was announced shortly after that and the crowd went wild.

Slippery Rock is a little school in Pennsylvania and it even had a couple games at the Big House. The scores would get announced for a while and then it fell off. They are announcing the scores again and it is pretty cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They did that at games in the mid-80s while I was in school at U-M. We always cheered when Slippery Rock was winning.

Mikoyan said...

I think it's pretty cool that the score gets mentioned again.