Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

Today is Halloween.   I didn't really have anything planned to post today, so I'm kind of winging it.  It seems to be a standard blog practice to have a post for the various holidays, so here goes.

Halloween is a contraction of All Hallow's Evening or Eve.  Hallow is an Old English word that means saint.  And All Hallow's Eve is the night before All Saints Day.  The holiday itself is Christian in nature but has pagan roots.  The evening before All Saints Day was believed to be the last night that the dead could gain vengeance before All Saints Day.  In order to protect themselves from that, people would wear costumes to disguise themselves.

The Jack O' Lantern is supposed to be a representation of souls in purgatory and trick or treating came about because kids would go door to door collecting soul cakes.  So the traditions for Halloween are kind of a mixed bag of things.
 As I said, I didn't really plan a post, so I tried to do a little mental gymnastics and I guess since pirates are sometimes associated with Halloween, I'd use a plane with the Jolly Rogers on the wing.
 I guess skulls and crossbones are also part of the Halloween traditions, so here's a closeup of the tail.
 Ghosts are certainly part of the tradtion of Halloween....so here's a ghost plane.
And phantom Phantom.  I can never get enough jokes out of the Phantom.

So from me here at Michigan Exposures to you my readers...Happy Halloween.

No comments: