Friday, October 26, 2012

The Cason Callaway Sails Past Detroit

One of these years, I would like to follow a ship from it's port of origin to it's destination.  I've figured that ships are slow enough and cars are fast enough that it would be possible to do this.  The only issue that I might have is going to sleep as these journeys typically take a day or more.  The closest I've come to doing this was when I followed the Edson up the Detroit River.  The second closest was one of the times I followed the Blough on the Detroit River.
 Now this will be the third closest.  I caught the Cason J. Callaway earlier in Port Huron.  Since I was doing other stuff, I figured out that by the time I reached Detroit, I would be able to catch up with her again.  And sure enough, that's what happened.  Here she is as she is starting to round Belle Isle.  What I didn't realize, is that this is about half way on Belle Isle.
 She peeks out from behind the island.
 She comes a little more into view.  Unfortunately, it is tough to get these shots.  Also, you can see the sky looking a little nicer.
 Sometimes, you can get a headshot as they clear Belle Isle.  That was not the case today.  I think with the Lakes being down, they have to hug more to the Canadian side.
 Almost a nice profile shot.
 A bow shot.
 One of the nice things is that she is far enough out to give a full profile.
 And that's really the shot that I like.
 Sadly, there are buildings behind it.
 But they aren't too many.
 And she starts to head further downriver.
 I think she might have been heading for the Rouge River, but I'm not sure.
 A shot of her stack.
 And Old Glory flying proudly.
 Another oblique shot.
 She approaches the Ambassador Bridge.
 One of the towers of the Ambassador Bridge in the background.
 One more attempt with the telephoto.
And a full on shot of the Bridge.

No comments: