Monday, December 31, 2012

A Detroit Police Car

I've always been meaning to get a picture of a Detroit Police Car but I can never really get one in a spot where it is relatively background free.
 Today I had that opportunity, so I took it.

The Detroit Police Department was established in 1865 and covers the city with 5 districts and two precincts.  In 1921, the Detroit Police Department became the first police department in the country to use two way radios in their cars.  This was an attempt to stiffle the illegal alcohol trade going on at the time.  Since 1878, the Detroit Police Department has lost 225 officers in the line of duty.
I wish I would have found a better police car but I suppose this one is a symbol of the city that it's driver is supposed to protect.  A little rough around the edges.

No comments: