Monday, December 10, 2012

The Ludington Lighthouse

I was actually hoping to make it to Ludington before this.  I wanted to catch a ride on the Badger because I have a feeling she wont be sailing next year.
 I'm not entirely sold on the looks of the lighthouse though.  I think there are better looking ones in the state but it's not that bad.
 The lighthouse itself is 57 feet tall and stands at the end of the breakwater for the Pere Marquette Harbor.  It is at the end of the Pere Marquette River.  I think at one time, it used to be at the end of the Pere Marquette Railroad.
 I wanted to get a picture of two navigational aids.
 The first lighthouse was built in 1924.  In 1972, the light was automated and has a 4th Order Fresnel lens.
The fog signal is integrated in the same building.

1 comment:

Christopher List said...

I've never been out on the south pier. I'd like to do that some day.