Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The John G. Munson Passes the Bluewater Bridge

The first picture in this series was taken at the Maritime Center and the rest were taken by the Bluewater Bridge.  Regular followers of this blog know that my favorite ship is the Roger Blough (as evidenced by the number of times she's appeared on this blog and the fact that I've chased her in a couple spots in Michigan).  They may also know that my favorite fleet is the Great Lakes Fleet (they own the Blough) and they may also know that I love the classic lake freighters.  The Munson satisfies two of those requirements.
 The Munson has the lines of a classic freighter and she's appeared on this blog a few times in the past.  In fact, it seems like I've been seeing more of her lately than other ships.  She is definately a classic.
 One of the people I met at the Maritime Center told me about this spot.  I'm glad he did because I didn't realize there was a spot where I could catch and upbound ship with the Bluewater Bridge in the background.  Now that I know, I will have to use this spot more often.  I kind of like this shot but I wish the tracks lead me more towards the subject.  They kind of seem to draw my eye off to the right, oh well.  Maybe with a few more times of using this spot, I can find a better location.
 I love this angle but I think I should have cropped it a little better.
 The shot with the Bridge in the background.  I kind of wish I had a wider angle lens so that I could have gotten more of the Bridge in my picture.
 A closeup of her pilothouse.
 And she passes the bridge, so another shot of her pilothouse.
 And her deckhouse.
 As she slowly works her way into Lake Huron.
Even though the weather was miserable, there weren't interesting looking clouds.  I kind of wish there was a more seemless transition between water and sky to give the ship the apperance of floating.

Despite my complaints...I hope you enjoyed this series.

No comments: