Sunday, April 6, 2014

Back to the Rocky Beach

I saw that there was a ship stirring about yesterday, so I decided to head over to the Rocky Beach and one of my favorite places for boatwatching.  It was actually a nice enough day for it yesterday.
 The Soo Locks opened on March 25 of this year.  They finally had their first commercial vessel pass through on Friday.  The ice on the Lakes is at the thickest it has been in years.  This has caused havoc with the shipping so far.  Canada had to send two of its heavy icebreakers to help out and the US Coast Guard assets on the Lakes are pretty taxed right now.  So this has meant I haven't had many opportunities for boatwatching.  It was kind of nice to be able to do that.
 Despite all that, the ice looks pretty cool.  I kind of liked this piece because it looks like a honeycomb.
 A little bit of blue ice.
 Another shot of the ice covered rocky beach.
I kind of liked the way this one looked.
 This one reminded me of Superman's Fortress of Solitude.
 Not sure what kind of duck this was.
 One more piece of ice.
 I liked the way the sun was hitting this one.

No comments: