Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Return of the Oberstar

Like I said in my first post from tonight, it was a pretty busy day.  I didn't realize how busy it was until I checked AIS again.  For the next series of ships, I decided to head up to Port Huron.
 First in that series is the Honorable James L. Oberstar.  She is named after a Wisconsin Congressman who was a friend to the Great Lakes shipping industry.
 She was heading down to Toledo but I don't remember what she was loaded with.  I thought that she was heading to the steel mill in Detroit, but I guess I was wrong.
 I think she was the first ship on the Great Lakes to be installed with a diesel scrubber.  I believe this is an attempt to remove pollutants from her exhaust and it's a pretty noble gesture.
 I kind of like it because with the white plume coming from her stack, she looks like a steamship.  They are in the process of adding this system to the Lee A. Tregurtha and James R. Barker.  Both of those ships should be coming back on line soon.
 Like I said, I think it looks pretty cool.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And her deckhouse.
She continues on her way down the River.

No comments: