Monday, July 12, 2010

Manitou Island Lighthouses

I could see the Manitou Island from the Sleeping Bear Dunes and I brought my longer lens to try to get a picture of the lighthouse on it. Unfortunately it didn't work out quite as well as I hoped.

The day was slightly hazy so it wasn't a perfect day to get a picture of this lighthouse. I fully extended my lens to 500 mm and took the shot. This is cropped from the larger picture and sort of reminds me of one of the pictures you would see in military books dealing with the Soviets. Anyways, you can kind of make out the lighthouse. So here goes.

This is the third lighthouse built on the island. The first began in 1839 and was completed in 1840. This lighthouse was built in 1872 and is currently under the auspices of the National Park Service. It was decommissioned for a while but a new light was installed and it now lit again.

This is the North Manitou Shoal Lighthouse and was built in 1935.

No comments: