Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Shipwatching

As I said in my earlier post, I found a website that tracks the movements of ships on the Great Lakes. One of the sections has estimated times of arrival near Belle Isle in Detroit. Since I would be heading up to our other office this morning and I saw that a couple ships would be there around sunset, I decided to get up early and take some ship pictures.

Anyways, here are the pictures.

This is the Joyce L. VanEnkevort and Great Lakes Trader. The Great Lakes Trader portion was constructed in 2000 and the tug was built in 1998. They were mated in 2000. The ship has a carrying capacity of 39,600 tons.

This is a closeup of the tug.

Another shot of the ship as it starts to head away from me. The ship has an overall length of 844 feet (this is the combined length of the tug and barge)



This ship is the Canadian Progress which was built by Port Well Drydocks in St. Catharines Ontario. She was launched in 1968 and can carry over 27,000 tons of cargo. She mostly carries coal.

This is a close up of the superstructure of the ship. She has an overall length of 730 feet.

My last ship of the morning was the Calumet. She started life as the William R. Roesch in 1973 and was built by the American Shipbuilding Company in Lorain Ohio. She can carry 19,000 tons of cargo.

This is the superstructure.

This is the Calument as she heads towards the Ambassador Bridge.

And one last shot. She has an overall length of 630 feet.

No comments: