Tuesday, June 25, 2019

A Northern Michigan Whirlwind

 So last Saturday I decided to take a whirlwind tour of the state.  I wanted to go to the Frankfort/Traverse City area since it has been a while since I've been up there.  So we ended up taking a bit of a ride.
 The first stop was the covered bridge at Fallasburg.  It was a pretty nice day and I expected to see more people here but there wasn't.
 The river was pretty calm and that made for some nice reflections.
 There was only one person there taking portrait photographs and for the most part, I was able to keep them out of my pictures.
 And one more picture of the bridge because I liked the smoothness of the water.
 I next headed up to Frankfort.  It has been a while since I've been here.  I want to say it's been almost 2 years.
 As I was taking pictures of the lighthouse, I caught a sailboat heading in.
 It made the turn for the channel.
 Since Point Betsie is nearby, I headed there.  It has been even longer since I've been here.  When I tried the last time, the road was snowed over.  Before that, it was pretty crowded.  It was pretty crowded on Saturday but I was able to get a spot.
 I couldn't get some of my normal shots as the water was covering the little path but I was able to make due.
 Looking up at the tower.
 There were some lilac bushes growing on the side.
 Another group of those flowers.
 Another angle.
 Even though this angle isn't much different, I liked it.
 Next we headed over to Sleeping Bear Dunes.  It was pretty crowded, so I didn't get the pictures that I wanted.
 But I think they were okay.
 the barn off in the distance.  I tried to get a picture of the Manitou Lighthouse but it didn't work out too well.
 Next we headed over to Traverse City.  There is a farm nearby with a nice iris field.  And just like my luck with other flowers, it wasn't too good.  I have a feeling there were more a couple weeks ago.
 But I was able to get some shots.
 I liked the variety of colors that I did see.
 I really like this one.
 I thought this one was okay.
 A poppy.
 Another poppy.
 Not sure what kind of flower this is.
 Another poppy.

I really like this one.
And I like this one.
 One more before moving on.
 It was my plane to head up to Mackinaw City but it was getting late and I didn't want to get home after midnight.  So I took M-72 out of Traverse City and that took me through Kalkaska.  They have this giant trout statue.
 I'd have to say it's pretty detailed.
And one more angle of it.

And that was a pretty cool whirlwind.

No comments: