Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The State of Michigan Passes Belle Isle

I'm still catching up with my pictures from Memorial Day weekend.  This pictures are still from that weekend.
 I didn't really feel like doing much on Sunday since I had a pretty whirlwind tour on Saturday.  It's not often when you go from one side of the state to the other.  I took a look at Marine Traffic and saw that there was a ship I was interesting in catching.
 So I headed down to Belle Isle because that was where I could catch her and this wasn't the ship.
 This is the State of Michigan, she was following the ship I was interested in catching pretty closely.  I was kind of happy to catch this one since I don't see her all that often.
 The State of Michigan belongs to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in Traverse City.  It is used as a training ship for people that are interested in joining the merchant fleet.
 The State of Michigan is converted from the USNS Persistent which was an ocean surveillance vessel and it was used to track Soviet submarines.
 In 1998, she was used to enforce drug laws but it was determined she was too slow for that role.
 In 2002, she was transferred to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy and received her current name.
 The ship was starting to conduct lifeboat drills.  It was pretty cool to watch.
 The beam shot.
And she continues on her way.  I'm not sure where she docked though.

No comments: