Thursday, June 6, 2019

From the Deck of the Colonel James M. Schoonmaker

On Memorial Day, I decided to head down to Toledo because I saw that the Alpena was heading down there.  Since I got a membership, I decided that I was going to watch her from the deck of the Col. James M. Schoonmaker.
 I was last on her deck when she was known as the Willis Boyer and was a little further down the river.  If you look in this picture, you can see the towers of the Anthony Wayne Bridge and that is where she was.  A few years ago, they decided to move her to her current spot and built a museum nearby.  This is looking back towards her engine room.  I didn't tour that this time because I was hoping to catch the Alpena on her deck.
 Looking up at her pilothouse.
 Looking from inside the pilothouse.
The decks below the pilothouse were used to entertain guests of the ship.  Typically, they were shareholders or other influential people.
 A view of the pilothouse.  She was the only ship on the lakes to have two wheels.  I think one of the wheels was added when they improved her steering and other things.  They kept the second wheel as a backup.
 Her radio direction finder.  In the days prior to GPS, they had radio stations around the lakes.  Ships could get directions to them and triangulate their position.  If I remember correctly, it was fairly accurate.
 Her radar.
 Her compass.
Looking out from the pilothouse.  I think if you look just below the suspension bridge, you can see the Alpena peeking around the corner.

No comments: