Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lee A. Tregurtha Passes the Jefferson Avenue Bridge

Like I said in my last post, we went to the Jefferson Avenue Bridge to catch the Lee A. Tregurtha as she headed up the Rouge River to the Severstal Docks.
 I've caught pictures of ships docked by this bridge, I never actually watched a ship come up the Rouge.
 I'll have to admit that it is pretty interesting, even though the Tregurtha is taking it extra slow.
 As you can see, the river is fairly narrow and windy.  I think the Tregurtha is one of the longer vessels to make the trek.
 I will have to say, she is a very nice looking ship.
 You can see her wartime roots in the bow.
 I would love to do this on a smoother day when I can get the reflection more but I do like this shot.
 She gets a little closer.  About the only other time I've been this close to a ship was at Engineer's Day at the Soo.  Although I think the Saginaw River is pretty close as well.
 A shot of her pilothouse through the bridge.
 You can see her wartime ribbons.
 She slowly moves past the bridge.
 One of her cargo hatches.
 As the river is fairly narrow, you can see people looking over the sides to make sure she doesn't hit.
 And she slowly works her way up the river.
 This guy is calling out to the bridge.
 An angle that I wouldn't normally get for a ship.
 A picture of her stack.  If you look closely, you can see the C on her stack from when she was owned by the Cleveland Cliffs company.
 She still works her way up.  This picture gives you a pretty good idea of her
 A shot of her stern.  You can see the seagulls flying around and I'll show why in the next post.
 Another stern shot.
And she slowly makes her way to the railroad bridge.

2 comments:

tugboathunter said...

She actually is the longest ship to ever transit the Rouge. Not much room for error!

Christopher List said...

I like the centered seagull.