Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sunrise Honorable James L. Oberstar

As I was checking marinetraffic on Friday night, I saw that the Honorable James L. Oberstar would be making her way up the Rouge River around sunrise.  Since I also wanted to catch eagles down in Ohio, I figured this would work for me.
 I timed it just about perfectly, as I arrived to park, I saw that the Fort Street bridge was still raised which meant that I would catch the Oberstar.  I found a good spot on the Dix Avenue bridge and waited.  It wasn't long before she appeared.
 The lighting was just about perfect for me.
 It even helped the Dix Avenue bridge.
 A little bit later, she was in full view.  I love the fact that they added the scrubbers to her stack, it makes her look like a steamship again.
 One of the nice aspects of the Rouge River is that it gives you a chance to get a headshot.
 It was fairly calm, so I got somewhat of a reflection.
 As the Oberstar got closer, I got a better reflection.
 A fairly nice shot of her pilothouse.
 And she starts to pass through the bridge.
 Shortly after passing through the bridge, she starts to make her turn for the steel dock.
 This is the other reason why I like taking pictures on the Rouge River.  Gives a nice backdrop for ships.
 I kind of like this particular stern shot.
And one more shot before leaving.

No comments: