Sunday, April 2, 2017

My First Thousand Footer of the Season

I was thinking about going to catch some eagles yesterday and then I looked at AIS and I saw that it was a pretty busy day on the river.  So northern Ohio turned into going up and down between Port Huron and Algonac.
 First up was the American Spirit.  I caught her as I reached St. Clair but I didn't really catch her in time.  Not that I don't like this picture.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 And a shot as she continues down the St. Clair River.
 So I decided to go down to Marine City to catch her again and hopefully with some better angles.
 I always like it when I catch a headshot.
 I believe she left Duluth on Wednesday and she was carrying a load of iron ore.  That would have put her through the Soo Locks on Friday.
 She is on her way to Conneaut, Ohio.
 I don't think I've seen a ship this low in the water but with the lake levels up, I think they can load them a little more.
 And she's got about 28 feet to her keel.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
Roughly 3 hours after this picture, she will be passing Belle Isle.  Roughly 12 hours after that, she will be off Conneaut.  I'm not sure how long it takes her to unload.  Nor am I sure where she is headed after that.

No comments: