Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Last Ship of the Trip

As I was getting ready to leave, I saw that there would be one more ship that I had a chance to catch.
 Sadly, she was rounding Mission Point as I approached there.  Since I didn't think I'd have time to park, get my camera ready and take a picture, I decided to head over to Four Mile Beach. Last year, this was actually a beach.  The lakes have risen enough that its not so much a beach this time.
 There was a little bit of fog and I like fog in my ship pictures.
 The American Courage is one of the River ships built after the thousand footers.  As the shipping companies retired older smaller ships, they realized that the thousand footers couldn't handle some of the normal places that Great Lakes ships visit, so they built a group of ships known as the River class.
 These ships were equipped with bow and stern thrusters so that they could navigate some of the windy rivers of the Great Lakes.
 Ocassionally, the American Courage will make her way through the Welland.  I think she is one of the few American ships that does so.
And she continues on her way.

No comments: