Thursday, July 3, 2014

The John D. Leitch Makes an Appearance

Next up is the John D. Leitch.
 There are quite a few in the boatnerd community that don't like her.  They call her ugly and what not.  While I don't think she's a particularly attractive ship, I don't really consider her ugly.
 Yes, she has a unique pilothouse but is one of the qualities that attract me to her.  I think she was built in a transition period on the Lakes.  Many ships were starting to be built with just the rear pilothouse. 
 I read somewhere that the reason for her unique pilothouse was space.  They could get a little more cargo.
 At any rate, she passes Mission Point on the way to the Soo Locks.
 This picture was taken during the boatnerd cruise, which I will talk about in a bit.
 She is waiting along the wall for the Gott to leave the Locks.
 She passes by the Stewart J. Cort.
 And makes her way into Lake Superior.
 A closer view of her pilothouse.
I believe she was heading up to Duluth but I'm not sure.

No comments: