Thursday, April 18, 2013

Messing With the Light

Night photography can look very awesome if it turns out right.  But for it to turn out right, you either need a tripod or a very stable place to set your camera.  Night time exposures are typically measured in seconds rather than fractions of seconds.  Because of this, every bit of motion in your camera will be captured and this is why some night shots tend to look blurry.

However, there are times when you can use this to your advantage and get some really neat effects.
 For instance, you have this nice stylized picture of the Renaissance Center.  I didn't move the camera so much that you can still tell it's the Ren Cen.
 Sometimes you can get two or three Ren Cens.
 As I was taking the pictures, the Birchglen decided she wanted to appear on my blog.  Sadly, I'm not nearly steady enough to pan with her, but if you look at the bottom of the picture, you can see her red port-side light.  You can also see her running lights.
 I used a slighly shorter time for this picture. 
Since Chris was driving, I tried to get some freeway signs.  I love the motion effect.

I guess that's one thing I like about using a digital camera.  I can try stuff like this.  If it doesn't work, I'm only out some electrons.  If it does work, I have some nice abstracts.

No comments: