Monday, June 4, 2012

Riding the Northeast Regional

So the next leg of my trip would be a ride on the Northeast Regional from Washington D.C. to New York City.   I think I was passing through one of the busiest rail areas in the country.
I didn't take pictures of Washington D.C.'s Union Station when I got off the Capitol Limited, so I figured I would take some this time.  It is actually a pretty beautiful station but it was undergoing some renovations because of the earthquake.
The station itself was built in 1907 after the Pennsylvania and B&O announced they would build a joint terminal.  It designed to mimic the architecture of the rest of the city.
Unfortunately, scaffolding got in the way of many of my pictures.
As you can see here.
It is actually a quite nice station.
Especially with the columns and stuff.  There is a pretty large mall in the middle and a decent sized food court in the lower level.
This is the view of Baltimore.
I'm not sure what base this was but it had A-10's.
This is pretty close to the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay.
Since I'm a boatnerd, I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to take a picture of a ship being unloaded.
Philadelphia.
Another shot of Philadelphia.
I believe this is a standard design for a Pennsylvania Railroad switching house.
One of the trains of the New Jersey transit system.
A diesel engine.
A view of Manhattan from the train.
And we ended up at Penn Station in New York City.  Although it's not the grand Penn Station of old but there are hints of it.
In order to soothe the commuter, there are live musical performances.
Looking down a long corridor.

For the most part, this route was pretty cool but short.  Maybe one of these days I will take it all the way up to Boston.  I would have liked to try the Acela but it added quite a bit to my cost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know that corridor too well!