Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waking Up With the John G. Munson

I was heading up to the Troy office today and just before I left, I saw that the John G. Munson would be passing by at about the same time that I would be passing Detroit.  So I decided to stop at Milliken Park and take some pictures.
 When we last saw the John G. Munson, I had just caught her on the Detroit River about a week or so after seeing her at the Soo Locks.  I really like seeing ships in different places because it gives me different backgrounds for them.
 Here she proudly displays her Great Lakes Fleet stripe.  I will make no qualms that I like the ships of the Great Lakes Fleet.  For the most part, they are all proud looking ships.
 Judging by the wear on the stripe, they are also pretty hardworking boats.  Seriously, it would be nice if they would pick up the American Valor to take a little of the load off the other boats....hint hint.
 The bow at the front of the Munson is the next ship....
 ....which would be the EPA Lake Guardian.  More about her in the next post.
 A closeup of her pilothouse.  That is another thing that isn't a secret to readers of this blog....I love the classic lake freighter look.
 And that is mostly what composes the Great Lakes Fleet.
 A shot of her pilothouse as she heads up to Lake Superior.  I am almost thinking that the timing may be close enough that I will see her when I am up at the Soo tomorrow.
 I may be able to catch her at DeTour too...but that may be pushing it.
If I could meet those two goals, I would be close to realizing a long term ship photograph goal, catching one travelling up the lakes.  So we'll see.

No comments: