Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Riding the Staten Island Ferry

My next couple of posts are going to be a bit of a jumble because New York City was a bit of a jumble for me.  Normally, I like to do my posts in the order that I see them but this time I'm going to break them down by subject matter.

My first post from New York City will be my experiences on the Staten Island Ferry.  But before I go into my post, I would like to offer my thanks to tugster for his hospitality while I visited the city.  He showed me the area that he calls the Sixth Boro.
 We took the subway from Penn Station to the Staten Island Ferries.  Seeing how I don't get to ride subways in Michigan, it was a cool experience for me.
 The stairs leading up to the Ferry Terminal.
 One of the ferries pulling into the terminal.  I think this is one of the ferries that we ended up riding.
 If I remember correctly, this is the ship that was used in Mutiny on the Bounty.
 Waiting to get on the ferry.
 The lower deck of the ferry.  I've never been on the Staten Island Ferry and I'll have to admit it was a pretty cool experience.
 The Brooklyn Bridge.
 One of the lifeboats. 
 I think this was a fort.
 I was amazed at the view of the Manhattan Skyline from the Ferry.
 A classic New York scene.
 A life ring.
 Another ferry.
 A ferry waiting at the Staten Island terminal.
 The pilothouse of our ferry.
 A ferry pulling into the Staten Island terminal.
 The pilothouse of the ferry that would take us back to Manhattan.
 Another classic New York scene.
 Another view of the skyline.
 So I got on the ferry again on the next day I was wandering around New York.  As you can see, the sky was much clearer.  The day was pretty cool though.
 Another view of the Brooklyn Bridge.
 A view of the skyline from the ferry.
 Another view of the skyline.
 The skyline on a much nicer day.
 The pilothouse of another ferry.
 The Verrazano Narrows Bridge.
 A much cleaner view of the bridge.
My timing for this shot wasn't quite as good as the other one but I still like the shot.

All in all, it was pretty cool to ride on the ferry.  It gives a nice view of New York Harbor.  I can't wait to get back to New York.

1 comment:

Isaac said...

Samuel I. Newhouse/Andrew J. Barberi share the second-largest passenger capacity of any boat on Earth, I believe. Spirit of America was built on the lakes at Marinette, Wisconsin