Saturday, November 3, 2012

The John G. Munson on the St. Clair River...Again

I saw that it was going to be a busy day on the River today, so I decided to head up to Port Huron by way of M-29.  M-29 goes off I-94 at 23 Mile Road and heads towards the St. Clair River.  Then it heads north and follows the St. Clair River pretty closely and ends in Port Huron.  It is actually a pretty nice little drive.  There are some parts where you're not too close to the River but those are few and far between.
 I had already missed a couple of ships because they passed earlier and I didn't get up as early as I wanted.  I was about to miss this one when I made a sharp turnaround and started to chase her down.  It's kind of funny because the last time I saw her was on the St. Clair River.  Since she's a classic laker, I don't mind taking repeat pictures of her.
 It was starting to cloud over a little bit but not enough to dampen the sun as you can see on the front of her pilothouse.
 While I think I prefer overcast days, this isn't too bad because it gives the nice cloudy background that I love with some light to highlight the ship.
 So you kind of get the best of both worlds.  The colors of the ship standing out against the gray sky but enough light from the sun.
 Last time I saw her, she was spewing out some white smoke, it didn't appear like she was in these pictures.
 She definately wouldn't be in this picture since you're not seeing her stack.
 It looked like it was still happening here but it kind of blends in against the clouds.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
 A closeup of her stack.
You can definately see the white smoke here.  I hope that she is okay and the white smoke is nothing serious.

No comments: