Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Kaye E. Barker Leaving the Rouge River

Ever since I've caught a ship going to the steel mill, I've wanted to catch one leaving.  I figured that they would use the turning basin and that would give me a chance to get a headshot with the steel mill in the background.
 Last Saturday as I was watching the other ships, I was keeping an eye on the Kaye Barker.  She entered the Rouge River sometime in the morning and I figured that she would be leaving sometime in the afternoon.  Before going to get the other ships, I decided to stop and see what she was doing.  It seemed that she was turned around but then she ended up backing into the slip.  I then suspected that she probably needed to make another pile of taconite somewhere.

If you look closely at this picture, you can see a 747 taking off from Metro.
 After I caught the other ships, I decided to return to the steel mill.  After about a half hour or so, she started to pull out.  Sadly, I was shooting right into the sun.  So it seems that my next goal is to try and catch one leaving in the morning.
 She made her way out of the slip and started to turn towards the Dix Avenue Bridge.
 This gave me a better shot because I think the steel mill was blocking some of the sun.
 And my coveted headshot.
 Somewhere in this picture, there is also a plane and train and thus giving me my trifecta.
 Unfortunately, the sun was just a little too bright, but I still like the shot.
 A shot of her pilothouse.  Judging by the smoke, she was using her bowthrusters to help make the turn.
 A better shot.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
And she starts to pass the bridge.  I believe that she was headed back to Marquette in order to start the cycle all over again.

No comments: