Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Michipicoten Visits Muskegon

So on Sunday I had the chance to either catch the Michipicoten or Wilfred Sykes.  The Michipicoten was paying a visit to Muskegon and the Sykes was headed to her usual destination of Grand Haven.
 It has been a while since I've caught the Michipicoten and normally when I do, she's out in the channel or something.  So I decided to head to Muskegon to catch her coming in.  The Sykes was entering Grand Haven at about the same time.  Although I thought the Sykes would be entering there much sooner but it turned out there was pretty heavy fog, so she didn't enter Grand Haven until the morning.
 Lately the Michipicoten has been exclusively going between Marquette and the steel plant in Sault Ste Marie.  So I didn't think I'd have a chance to catch her in the near future.
 Despite the threat of rain, it was pretty nice while the Michipicoten was passing.
 It looks like they are going to be doing some painting on her.  The red stuff on her pilot house appears to be primer.  I can't imagine priming a ship and then not painting her.
 A shot of her deckhouse.
I tried to follow her through her travels in Lake Muskegon but I wasn't sure where she was headed.

No comments: